Friday, August 26, 2011

As if you needed further proof of American Devolution

Went to grab a quick dinner this evening.
Stopped into a local fast food joint. Not a national chain.
Rather, a small, four storefront, southside enterprise.

I ordered 2 dogs. They come with fries. (Yay!)
You always get asked the same question with a hotdog order.
"You want everything on it?"
The proper answer is "Yes. Peppers too."

Now keep in mind, this is Chicagoland.
A hotdog with everything on it, round these parts is:
A cased meat product. Vienna brand dogs imho are the premium brand.
On a steamed bun. A bun with poppy seeds is bonus points.
Condiments that fall in the category of everything should include;
  • Mustard
  • Onions
  • Relish
  • Dill Pickle Spear or Cucumber Slices
  • Tomato Wedges or slices
  • Sport Peppers
  • Sprinkled liberally with Celery Salt
Upon unwrapping my meal on a bun, this is the horror I found:

Fricken jalepenos!? Jalepenos?! No! No! No! Wrong!
 I did not order el hotdog la mexicano. Don't get me wrong. I like jalepenos. In my chili. With chips 'n salsa. On my enchiladas con suezo? Yep! Lotsa of 'em. Hell, bring 'em on in my Rancho Huevos! Pass the hot sauce too. But this con-fusion cuisine is the limit.

If you order eggplant parmesan ... would ya be disappointed if they substituted, say, cheddar?
If you asked for chili sauce for your tamale ... would ya be disappointed if they substituted, say, soy sauce? Condiments matter!
The proper pepper for a hot dog is the Mississippi Sport Pepper (Capsicum annuum)

Illustration provided for the education of the ignorant; S.P.O.R.T. Peppers!

Listen up! This ain't rocket science. This was invented round these parts! Get it right! 

Cross posted @Saddletamp

No comments: